Whom Should You Consult – a Rheumatologist or an Orthopedic Surgeon?

Whom Should You Consult – a Rheumatologist or an Orthopedic Surgeon?


Normally, the severity of your problem plays a big role. Knee discomfort can be caused by many things. Its severity may also differ. In certain circumstances, the discomfort may be so minor that it does not necessitate the involvement of a doctor. Relaxing for a day allows you to recover from your pain. You can receive the medicine from a pharmacist for this. However, this is advised when the discomfort is minor and not life-threatening.

Consider if you’ve been in an accident or if you’ve fallen and suffered a significant sprain. You should get treatment from a specialist by looking for a “bone doctor near me” on Google. Failure to do so may aggravate your discomfort. You should see an orthopedic doctor specializing in knee pain at once, get the necessary tests, and begin therapy.

It’s critical to take action at the earliest once you notice the first symptoms.

Here are 5 symptoms for which you should consult the best bone doctor:

1. There is a source of discomfort.

2. You are unable to participate in specific types of physical activity.

3. The inability to move in a “normal” manner.

4. Uncomfortable even when sleeping.

5. Injuries that occur frequently.

With so many crossovers between medical fields and specializations, determining which type of doctor to see for a particular ailment can be challenging. This is especially true for the fields of orthopedics and rheumatology, which both treat joint pain.

  • Orthopedists treat disorders and injuries of the bones and joints, such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, and bodily trauma.
  • Rheumatologists are internal medicine doctors specializing in autoimmune disorders and the non-surgical treatment of diseases like arthritis, which can be treated with drugs and/or physical therapy.

To make informed decisions when searching for the bone doctor near me, it is necessary to comprehend the areas covered by these two specialties.

An orthopedist and a rheumatologist work together to treat rheumatoid arthritis. To begin with, schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for a physical examination and explain your symptoms. For anomalies and to make an initial assessment, they may order X-rays, blood, and other tests. At this point, they may provide pain-relieving drugs. Your primary care physician’s initial treatments may be effective, and you won’t need to go further. Alternatively, depending on your needs, your primary care physician may recommend you to an orthopedist or a rheumatologist.

What is the role of a Rheumatologist?

Rheumatology is the branch of medicine that examines the causes, effects, and therapies of inflammatory autoimmune illnesses in humans. A patient’s immune system fails in an autoimmune condition, and it attacks his healthy body tissue rather than any external disease agents.

Rheumatologists are specialists in rheumatology who are internists or pediatrics with additional training and credentials. Many of the over 100 systemic varieties of adult, juvenile, and temporal arthritis have been diagnosed and treated. Mechanical joint, bone, muscle, and soft and connective tissue problems are all treated by them. Rheumatologists, also known as “arthritis doctors,” treat a wide range of disorders.

What is the Role of an Orthopedist?

Orthopedists are experts in skeletal issues, injuries, treatment, prevention, and repair. They are also experts on joints, ligaments, and muscles. Orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons are experts in the field of bone and joint disease diagnosis and treatment. To aid in diagnosis and therapy, they employ various testing techniques.

Examine the two lists of conditions below to see which specialist would be ideal for you.

If you’ve had the following symptoms, see an orthopaedist:

  • Following an injury, you may experience joint or musculoskeletal pain.
  • Pain in the hips or knees that gets worse when you bear weight.
  • Severe joint pain that is interfering with daily activities.
  • Arthritis in the hips or knees, moderate to advanced.
  • Joint discomfort has previously been treated unsuccessfully.
  • A necessary joint replacement is required.

If you’ve experienced any of the following mentioned symptoms, see a rheumatologist:

  • Pain that affects several joints.
  • New joint pain that isn’t related to an injury.
  • Fever, lethargy, rash, morning stiffness, or chest pain.
  • Joint pain after a tick bite.
  • Backache accompanied by joint pain.
  • Joint pain from Psoriasis.
  • Muscle aches and pains, with or without additional symptoms.
  • Recurring headaches or muscle aches.
  • Back pain that includes or excludes leg pain.
  • Persisting symptoms, such as inexplicable fever, excessive perspiration, or weight loss.

Who Can Assist You With Your Arthritis or Joint Pain?

Your primary care physician will lead you to the appropriate specialist for further treatment of your health concerns. Another option is checking on Google by typing ‘bone doctor near me‘. Before a visit to a consulting specialist is covered by your medical plan, many health insurance companies require that a primary care physician first refer the patient to this expert. An orthopedist can assist you if you are experiencing pain and incapacity due to arthritis, physical trauma, injury, or an accident (particularly involving your bones).


Both rheumatologists and orthopedists specialize in joints, muscles, and bones. The main focus of rheumatologists is on medically treating joint disorders. On the other hand, Orthopedists specialize in surgical therapies and fracture repair. If you are still confused, consult with specialists from various online health service platforms just by typing a bone doctor near me.