Can I Get Fillings that Match My Teeth Color?
Cavities can develop at any age and will need fillings to prevent further decay. However, metal fillings that don’t match the color of your teeth are not aesthetically pleasing. You may even feel self-conscious about the appearance of your smile. Tooth-colored fillings from a dentist in Toledo are a popular solution for patients who want their fillings to blend with the natural color of their teeth.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Composite fillings, also called tooth-colored or metal-free fillings, are made from dental composite resin and can be customized to match the shade of your teeth. Composite resin is used in advanced dentistry and replaces outdated restorative materials, such as silver amalgam, gold, porcelain, and glass ionomer. The material is durable and resistant to fracture from constantly chewing foods. This same material is also used for other dental restorations, such as inlays/onlays, replacement crowns, and veneers.
Benefits of Composite Fillings from a Dentist in Toledo
Tooth-colored fillings are widely popular because of their aesthetic value. They are also suitable for children and adults. Your dentist will do a dental exam and discuss treatment options with you as well as the oral health and aesthetic benefits they provide. Many people choose this type of filling because of numerous advantages, including these:
- Can be customized to blend seamlessly with the natural color of your teeth
- More of the tooth is preserved compared to using silver amalgam
- Suitable for front and back teeth without anyone noticing you have fillings
- Suitable for fixing minor flaws or large tooth damage
- Bond well to tooth enamel and won’t easily come loose
- Are durable and last for about 7-10 years.
- Are not affected by hot and cold temperatures like metal fillings
The tooth-filling procedure is done under local anesthesia for comfort and can be completed in one visit.
Are Tooth-Colored Fillings a Good Choice for Me?
Fillings are used to achieve the goal of sealing the gap in your tooth, regardless of the material. You may agree with your dentist on this choice of filling if you find the benefits appealing and for other reasons, including:
- You’re looking to restore a part of a chipped or broken tooth
- You’re hoping to improve the health and appearance of your pearly whites
- You’re concerned about the risk of mercury contained in dental amalgam
- You’re eager to swap your metal filling for one that matches your teeth color
- You need a filling that doesn’t get discolored
What if My Teeth Are Stained?
The shade of filling chosen may not match teeth that are heavily stained or discolored by things like wine, coffee, and tobacco smoking. In such cases, your dentist in Toledo may recommend teeth whitening, which can be done before or after the filling is placed.
In-office teeth whitening is a simple process where a bleaching agent such as a gel is applied to your teeth. Some dental practices offer an advanced procedure called laser teeth whitening. In-office bleaching can be done in a single visit and results are seen right away.
Performing the procedure makes it easier to provide the closest possible match to the natural color of your teeth. Even if the match isn’t the exact shade for your teeth, it will be less noticeable than metal fillings.
Improving Your Smile at Light Touch Dental Care
Enjoy carefree laughter with tooth-colored fillings that match your natural teeth along with everyday dental care to suit your needs. Our dentist, Dr. Nechvatal, has years of experience customizing filling treatments for our patients in Toledo, Ohio, and surrounding areas. We will work to ensure you’re happy with the final results. Call us at (419) 866-4271 to find out more or schedule a consultation.