Painting the house is one of the rapid ways to improve and increase the value of your home. A fresh coat of paint brightens up the room and makes the exterior look fresh and new. Although painting is a common DIY project for most homeowners. However, if don’t have the time and skills to paint your house by yourself then you may consider hiring a pro. Professional painters have ample staffing to finish a project correctly within your time limit and budget. However not every painter will be professional so there are certain things which you should do and ask while hiring any painting company. These are some parameters that will help to hire someone best in the business.
Types of painting:
There are for major types of painting services:
These mostly involved the painting of commercial buildings such as shopping malls, plazas, and shops, etc. In terms of duration and completion time, these are considered as longer ones.
Residential painting is mainly associated with home. These types of projects are short-term and need less time. Residential painting companies usually have a smaller number of employees and they don’t take commercial painting contracts. Residential painting services are further divided into two types.
As the name indicates this is the painting of the interior of the house. Interior painting involves the complete interior of the house and is more difficult than the exterior because there is always a lot of stuff in the house.
Exterior painting involves the exterior of the building structure of the house and boundary walls as well. Mostly durable type of paint is used for exterior painting because of the rain and sunlight exposure.
How to hire the best painting company?
These are the focal points for this.
Plan what you exactly want:
Detailed and comprehensive planning before execution will save a lot of your money and time. Decide on these factors while planning.
Time of year for the completion of painting:
It heavily depends where you’re living, exterior painting may only be available during the spring and summer seasons. Acute weather can push back or delay the completion of the painting project.
The total number of rooms needed to paint:
You’ll probably get a less price for interior painting if you have more than one room to be painted. Sending out the whole crew for the room isn’t cost-effective, so you may have to spend more money on a small job.
How painting work will impact your work and daily routine?
Most well-reputed companies will require anyone from the homeowners or adults to be present while the contractors or workers are working.
Researching the contractor:
Once you’re done with planning start researching for contractors. Keep in mind that a painting contractor must have at least a license and current insurance coverage. You can start your research by online means and by reading reviews. Your contractor should also have extensive experience in painting projects and a long list of satisfied customers.
Rely on referrals:
Offered services can vary from company to company. Some only provide painting services and some also offer additional services such as plaster repairing, trimming, molding, and wallpapering. Personal referrals are the best leads to finding an ideal painting contractor according to your requirements. Take a look at local community boards or ask your neighbors or friends, family if they have hired any painting contractors in recent times.
Interview the contractors:
Apart from online research and referrals, conducting initial interviews on the phone is also a good option. Ask these questions during this.
- Will you provide a few references from similar projects completed recently?
- Who will work on the project? Employees or subcontractors?
- Are you licensed and insured? If yes then please provide your contractor license number and certificate of insurance.
- What type and brand of paint do you use?
- Is the price of the paint included in the estimate?
- How many coats of paint are included?
- What are your payment expectations?
Prioritize your top prospects:
Once you’ve narrowed down your choice, reach out to references for a quick interview. This process will help you to shortlist the companies for estimation. Ask these questions from references.
- Was their project completed on time?
- Were you satisfied with the quality of work
- Did your project run over budget?
- Were the contractor and any subcontractor professional are courteous?
- Would you hire them again?
Get estimation in written form:
Contact at least three contractors or companies for estimation. Ask them for a complete estimation in written form after visiting the site. These things should be included in the estimation.
- Contact information such as company name, address, telephone number, and website
- Total cost with taxes
- Scope of the project which should include the areas to be painted, details of the preparation work, and the application process
- Type and details of the paint and other materials which will be used
- Start and completion dates
- Terms and conditions. Payment terms should be clear and easily understandable.